Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Better photos?

I get asked quite often "do you have any tips to help me take better pictures?" and after thinking on it quite a bit and without going into long lessons on apature, and shutter speed etc. here is my advice....

First I want to say these are MY tips! If you read any advice from "pro photographers" one of the first things they will tell you to do to take a better photo is... put your camera down. Now I understand the logic, if you are not holding your camera you will get a clearer image and remove any "shake" from your hands, BUT I don't do this! I want to catch lifestyle shots and I want to compose my shot quickly and on the move, I can't do this if my camera is on a tripod. So just keep in mind this is my personal opinion and not professional advice :)

1~ Learn your camera! It came with a book READ IT! So many people buy a nice dslr and then don't bother to learn how to do anything but but it on auto and start shooting. Those settings are less confusing than you think. There are even many youtube videos on different cameras, take a few hours and learn what your camera can do. I promise you wont regret it!

2~ Check your surroundings. Watch for things in the background that will distract from the feeling of the photo. Toys, cars, other people, try to simplify. Be careful of things like limbs, fence posts etc. growing out of peoples heads!

3~ Shoot what you love! Most of my fav shots are not necessarily the ones in perfect focus, or perfectly composed, or where everyone is smiling nicely for the camera. I love the shots that catch a moment, a memory exactly as you remember it. The ones that show a someones personality. For most of us this means the people who are closest to us our family and friends. But don't forget to document other things... Home, yard, car, shoes, jewelry, pets, food, anything that means something to YOU.

4~ I have to say for me the very most important thing to think about when taking pictures no matter the camera or situation is without question...LIGHT.  If you learn to watch the light your pictures will improve no matter what else you do. Soft natural light is always best. Try not to use your on camera flash. Stay out of harsh sunlight and watch for shadows falling across people faces. If you have no choice try to position people so their back is to the sun or find a small patch of shade to put them in. I could go on for pages on light, but I wont just let me say if you want a picture of your son or daughter with their eyes just sparkling place them under a over hang (porch, garage etc.) with the sun at their back and stand as far away from them as you can (and still get your shot) the light with bounce off the ground and under the overhang and light them up perfectly! Give it a try! And when you do I would love to see your results!!

*Just a couple do's and don'ts...

DO... print out your pics. Don't just leave them on your memory card, computer or even worse iphone.
 I have heard so many stories of precious memories being lost this way!
            Get in the picture, hand it to dad or mom or kids or put it down with a timer or remote.
Don't... Post unflattering pictures of anyone on any website. Would you want someone to do it to you?
                  Wait for another day or year to pass, join my 52 week challenge. (see below)

I have started a new fb page to help us all with our photos. My only motive is the passion I have for beautiful pictures and preserving memories, I want to share it! So please "like" my new page and let's have some fun!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photo-Ambrosia/179561282149585

I hope you have all learned something helpful, now start shooting!!


No comments: